From the Washington Post:
Bishop Roger Foys of Covington, Ky., Friday wrote in a letter to Covington Catholic parents that he had felt “pressured by all sides” to speak out right away about an incident at the Lincoln Memorial last week, did so prematurely and now apologizes to “anyone who has been offended in any way.” Foys especially apologized to the Covington teens in the altercation and said “it is my hope and expectation that the results will exonerate them.”
Foys’ letter is the third communication since last week from the diocese, which has been at the center of intense emotions from both supporters of the teens and their critics. The first communication, issued the day after the interaction last Friday, condemned the teens’ actions towards Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist who had been involved in an indigenous peoples’ march at the Memorial. On Tuesday, the Covington diocese released a statement saying there would be an independent investigation.
From Catholic News Agency:
.- Bishop Roger Foys of Covington issued an apology Friday for a Jan. 19 diocesan statement that condemned the actions of some Covington Catholic High School students, following a widely publicized incident after last week’s March for Life in Washington, DC.
“We apologize to anyone who has been offended in any way by either of our statements which were made with good will based on the information we had,” said Bishop Foys in the letter, which was addressed to the parents of Covington Catholic students. “We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it.”